HOW TO OPEN A SUCCESSFUL RESTAURANT: THE IDEA (OR CONCEPT) AND THE TARGET
Planning the opening of a business based on the concept and the choice of the customer target: let's take a closer look at the topic
A few months ago we talked about the planning, that is the concept, and the target to identify when you want to start a business. These two aspects are strictly interconnected and are also useful to those who already have an activity.
The first step to take when you want to outline a ‘concept’, or in other words, the idea behind a business, is to briefly describe:
1) The target you want to address: do your customers stop by you only during lunch breaks? Or are they young couples, and perhaps they cannot spend very much?
2) The expectations of the chosen target according to the type of cuisine: do they prefer a traditional cuisine? Or do they love organic products? Many pay close attention to the wine list, other people love to experiment with a particular type of cuisines and preparations, others pay more attention to the quantity than to the quality …
3) The characteristics of the business offer: type of menu and its offer, the ambience, the type of service and its speed, the interior design: evaluate every aspect that defines the position of your business compared to others in your area.
Imagine to write down a “concept” (where you will add every aspect previously described) and to ask one of your potential customers to read it. If he feels at ease with what he reads or your offer, then you did it!
The “concept” of a restaurant is the description of what the business will be. Besides, it represents also the idea that lies behind and reflects your entrepreneurial spirit. Well, the concept is the image that you give and what you propose.
Write the project out if you have a restaurant: it will help you understand if your business, at present, is still in line with the initial idea. Moreover, it will give you the chance to recenter your marketing strategy, comparing it with the customers you want to attract at the moment.
So, the concept will be the basis where to develop every communication and marketing project. Always try to keep in mind the original idea (if it is working well, of course), as customers do not appreciate sudden changes of image and type of cuisine: you will give the impression to be at the end of your rope and desperate for something new that might help you to save your business.
P.s. It often happens to develop a concept and conceive the target starting from the location. There’s not a big difference. We are going to clarify it:
it happens to engage a property suitable for catering. You rent it, and only after that moment you develop the project, that as a consequence will be linked to it. From the area of the building, in fact, will derive the choice of:
– the type of business (if you rent a property in an industrial area, it will be difficult to open a wine bar)
– target and the expectations to meet, also related to the other businesses in the same area
Considering the methodology, the substance does not change: if before the starting point was the target analysis based on the image of the business itself, now you should analyze the competitive system (supply and demand) given by the area identified by the Location.
In the next article, we will understand how to select the most appropriate target for your needs according to their attitude. Stay tuned!
Credit: La Ristorazione, Collana le Bussole
This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)